Membership StructureThe head office is currently based in Johannesburg and the management of the MLA is vested in the Board, which currently consists of executive members and non executive members.
There are 5 (five) categories of membership: –
- Full membership – open to judges, magistrates, prosecutors, advocates, attorneys, salaried lawyers employed in the public and private sectors, legal advisors and academic lawyers.
- Candidate attorneys and pupil advocates.
- Law students – those at university or college engaged in undergraduate and/or postgraduate studies.
- Associate members – any person, body or organization deemed by the Board to be eligible, and who subscribe to the constitution of the MLA may apply for admission as an associate member, and the Board’s decision as to the application shall be final.
- Honourary members – any person who has rendered, or is rendering some special service to the MLA, may in the discretion of the Board be invited to be an honourary member regardless of whether such a person is a member of the legal profession or not.